I love summers, and what better time to try this salad and its great presentation? Here’s what you’ll need:
- one seedless watermelon (although you’ll see from the photo that ours wasn’t so seedless, it still tasted great!)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- half an English cucumber, cut in 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) cubes
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml.) fresh dill, finely chopped
- 8 ounces (250 g) feta cheese, also cut in 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) cubes
- optional: finishing salt, to taste
In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients apart from the watermelon. Set these salad ingredients in the fridge while you peel and cut your watermelon into squares. The recipe from which we originally worked called for 1.5 inch (3.5 cm) thick slices; I made ours larger.
Use a melon baller or whatever utensil you have handy to scoop out the inside of each watermelon cube; reserve these spares for another use. Wait until shortly before serving to fill each watermelon cube with your salad ingredients, and enjoy.