Christmas is approaching, which means it’s time to pull out the cookie cutters. This recipe is a simple, old fashioned standard that I turn to each December.
- butter – half a cup / 115 g
- sugar – three quarters of a cup /150 g
- egg – one
- milk – one tablespoon
- vanilla – half a teaspoon
- flour – 1.25 cup / 175 g
- baking powder – one quarter teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C
- Allow the butter to warm up to room temperature / soften in microwave
- Cream the butter and then gradually stir in the sugar
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla, and mix thoroughly
- Stir in the flour and baking powder, and blend the mixture
- Arrange by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheets, one inch apart
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, or until very lightly browned
While the cookies are baking
If you’d like to add a bit of colour to these Christmas cookies, place two to three tablespoons of sugar in a small dish and add a couple of drops of food colouring. Stir thoroughly.
After removing cookies from the oven
Gently flatten each cookie with a teaspoon, and lightly sprinkle sugar over each cookie before serving and watching them disappear.
You may also be interested in …
- Chocolate Refrigerator Cookies – The Exceptional EA in the Kitchen (exceptionalea.com)
- Scones – The Exceptional EA in the Kitchen (exceptionalea.com)
- Date and Goat Cheese Appies / Pinchos – The Exceptional EA in the Kitchen (exceptionalea.com)