With thanks to all who participated, here are your responses to my question … What do you think of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games?
It’s also clear, however, that those who are watching these Games share respect for a number of events and athletes, regardless of the flags under which they’re competing.
On a scale of 0 (no interest) to 5 (loving them), how interested are you in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games?
- 1: 7% of respondents
- 2: 7% of respondents
- 3: 36% of respondents
- 4: 29% of respondents
- 5: 21% of respondents
I asked those who are watching the Games to identify the three events that most appeal. Responses are below and, while I’ve listed them in alphabetical order, there were repeat mentions of each such event except for the equestrian, shooting and weightlifting events.
- Track / running
Next, I asked those who are watching the Games to identify the highlight so far. Here, in alphabetical order, are the responses.
- Andreas Toba competing on the pummelhorse despite a severe injury. Team spirit!
- As a Brit, Adam Peaty’s gold. As an ex-competitive swimmer, Michael Phelps!
- Diving (repeat mentions)
- Emergence of many “new” athletes taking the podiums
- Michael Phelps winning his golds (repeat mentions)
- Multiple demonstrations of sportsmanship
- Seeing Andre De Grasse win bronze, and Usain Bolt’s demonstration of respect
- Seeing Canadian women swimmers do so well
- Swimming, and Penny Oleksiak’s incredible achievements
- US Women’s gymnastics results
- Watching Usain Bolt run (repeat mentions)
Then we moved on to athletes. I asked those who are watching the Games to identify athletes they admire. Here they are, in primarily alphabetical order.
- “All of them”
- “The underdogs in any event, but particularly the ROT-team”
- Simone Biles
- Usain Bolt (repeat mentions)
- Eugenie Bouchard
- Tania Cagnotto
- Tom Daley (repeat mentions)
- Andre De Grasse
- Gabby Douglas
- Mo Farah
- Laurie Hernandez
- Elis Ligtlee
- Ryan Lochte
- Rosie MacLennan
- Andy Murray
- Siobhan-Marie O’Connor
- Penny Oleksiak (repeat mentions)
- Adam Peaty
- Michael Phelps (“inspirational”)
- Aly Raisman
- Louis Smith
- Briane Theisen-Eaton
- Wayde Van Niekerk
- Kerri Walsh Jennings
Lastly, I got a bit silly and asked those who are not in the Olympics camp which of the following they would rather do than watch the Olympics. With thanks for the good sports who responded, here are your choices.
- Cleanup my email “in box”: 25% of respondents
- Hmm. Maybe I’d watch the Games after all: 25% of respondents
- 50% of respondents selected “Other”. One left a comment to say s/he is watching the Games.