With thanks to all who participated, here are the results of my latest weekend poll. Our focus: What’s the range of hardware on and around your desk?
61% of respondents have two or more monitors
… and that’s independent of laptops. It would seem that there’s wide recognition of the efficiencies we can achieve through access to more than one monitor. While 29% of respondents use a single monitor, there’s 72% of these admin. professionals work with monitors that are 22″ or larger.
Laptops and iPads
When it comes to laptops, more than 85% of respondents use them. 57.5% of all respondents reported that their laptops are their primary piece of hardware. iPads are less prevalent; only 25% of respondents have one at their desk. With all this hardware, I’m guessing more than a few of us also use surge protecting power bars!
Dedicated printers, label makers and more
… are on the desks of more than 50% of respondents. More than 60% of you rely on wireless mice, and internal speakers are the norm for almost 80% of your monitors.
More than one in every three respondents use employer-provided smartphones, while 3% of you have declined such offers, preferring to use personal cell phones. Scanners are less typical, with just shy of a third of respondents having one at their desks. Read on, and see how your desktop compares with your counterparts’.
Note: Information below reflects the percentage of respondents who selected specific responses from multiple choice options. In instances where more than one person offered similar responses to open ended questions, I clustered responses and did not duplicate all of them.
How many monitors do you have on your desk?
- two monitors: 55% of respondents
- 1 monitor: 29% of respondents
- I use a laptop: 6% of respondents
- 1 monitor plus laptop screen: 4% of respondents
- 3 monitors: 2% of respondents
- 3+ monitors: 2% of respondents
- 2 monitors plus a laptop screen: 2% of respondents
If you have only one monitor, what size is it?
- 22″: 40% of respondents
- 17″: 24% of respondents
- 28″: 12% of respondents
- 27″: 8% of respondents
- 24″: 8% of respondents
- 15″: 4% of respondents
- 4% of respondents selected “Other”. One person commented that s/he has two 22″ monitors.
Describe your use of laptops in your job.
- The laptop is my primary piece of hardware: 57.5% of respondents
- I use a laptop for recording meetings, in addition to using a PC: 28% of respondents
- I use one laptop for recording meetings, and a second one for screening meeting materials, in addition to using a PC: 6% of respondents
- 8.5% of respondents selected “Other”. Comments included the following.
- I use a laptop only when on business travels
- Support staff are not allowed laptops
- I have a laptop docking station to use the laptop as my second screen
- I use a laptop for presentations and an ipad for minutes
Do you use an iPad in your role?
- Yes: 25% of respondents
- No: 72% of respondents
- Infrequently; if I need one, I borrow it from a pooled resource: 1.5% of respondents
- 1.5% of respondents selected “Other”. One reader commented, “I use my iPad only in the evening and on business travels”.
Do you have a label maker at your desk?
- Yes: 52.5% of respondents
- No: 46% of respondents
- 1.5% of respondents selected “Other”. One person commented, “I use label templates and print them off”.
Do you have a dedicated printer (specifically for your use) at your desk/in your office?
- Yes: 51% of respondents
- No: 48% of respondents
- 1% of respondents selected “Other”. A reader commented that s/he has a multi-task piece of hardware that serves as a printer/telefax/scanner/copier
Do you have a wireless mouse at your desk?
- Yes: 62% of respondents
- No: 35% of respondents
- 3% of respondents selected “Other”. Comments included the following.
- I have a wireless keyboard and bar mouse
Describe your computer’s speakers.
- Internal speakers: 78% of respondents
- No speakers: 11% of respondents
- External speakers: 9.5% of respondents
- Both internal and external speakers: 1.5% of respondents
Do you have a smartphone provided by your employer?
- Yes: 35% of respondents
- No: 58% of respondents
- One is available to me, but I choose to use my personal phone: 3% of respondents
- 4% of respondents selected “Other”. Readers commented as follows.
- Only for Head management positions
- Self employed
- Company gives $60 monthly allowance on my personal phone
Do you have a webcam at your desk?
- Yes: 47.5% of respondents, with one respondent noting that the webcam was within the user’s laptop
- No: 52.5% of respondents
Do you have a scanner at your desk?
- Yes: 29% of respondents
- No: 65% of respondents
- 6% of respondents selected “Other”. Readers commented as follows.
- Multi-task machine
- There is a shared MFD (multi-function device) in the office
- My execs and I share a color printer that scans, faxes and copies as well
- (It’s) part of the printer
I closed this poll by asking people to describe any other hardware you keep on your desk. Here’s a look at items you identified that weren’t covered in the questions above, with those mentioned most frequently near the top of the list.
- Cell phone / telephone / softphone
- Bluetooth earpiece / hands free headset
- Wireless keyboard
- Bar mouse (no mouse; just a bar that is a mouse)
- External hard drive, USB hub
- Business card scanner
- CD burner
- Special hardware for editing/creating/printing labels
- Transcriber (dictation) equipment
- Second printer
- Adding machine