A June 30/17 update: Readers continue to offer suggestions on my LinkedIn networks, and so I’ve today updated the lists of titles and authors. Enjoy!
With thanks to all who participated, here are the results of my latest weekend poll. Our focus: What are your summer 2017 reading recommendations?
Another advantage of this international community
…is that we’re exposing one another to authors and great books that we might not otherwise read.
While 58% of you continue to read hard copies of books, 23% of respondents said they read both hard copies and ebooks. 19% of respondents said it’s ebooks for them.
What about your preferred genres? Mysteries topped the list this year, followed by general fiction, romance, business/career titles, and then historical fiction.
You may well recognise a number of authors and titles in the lists below, but I hope that you also dive in and try the works of someone new to you! Here are the results of last weekend’s poll.
Will you read primarily fiction or non-fiction books this summer?
- 59% of respondents: fiction
- 30% of respondents: non-fiction
- 11% of respondents selected “Other”. Comments included, “Both”, “autobiography” and “romance”.
Will you read primarily hard copy or ebooks this summer?
- 58% of respondents: hard copy
- 23% of respondents: “both”
- 19% of respondents: ebooks
Here are the genres respondents said they’ll be reading this summer, in descending order of frequency with which they were mentioned.
- fiction (general)
- business / career
- historical fiction
- self development
- short stories
- science fiction
- YA fiction
READERS’ PICKS – FAVOURITE AUTHORS
- Agualusa, Jose Eduardo
- Allende, Isabel
- Austen, Jane
- Baldacci, David
- Barclay, Linwood
- Brontë, Anne
- Carlisle, Kate
- Child, Lee
- Childs, Laura
- Christie, Agatha
- Coban, Harlen
- Cooper, Jilly
- Cornwell, Bernard
- Couto, Mia
- Covey, Stephen
- Deaver, Jeffery
- Dodd, Christine
- Fallada, Hans
- Feehan, Christine
- Ferris, Monica
- Foster, Lori
- Gaarder, Jostein
- Gabaldon, Diana
- Garwood, Julie
- Gregory, Philippa
- Grisham, John
- Guterson, David
- Hayley, Alex
- Harris, Joanne
- James, Eloise
- James, Peter
- Keun, Irmgard
- Kinsella, Sophie
- Krantz, Jayne Anne
- Lane, Soraya
- Ludlum, Robert
- Mann, Heinrich
- Mann, Thomas
- Mansell, Jill
- Marsh, Ngaio
- Morrison, Tony
- Patterson, James
- Picoult, Jodi
- Rankin, Ian
- Roberts, Nora
- Rose, Karen
- Rosof, Meg
- Rutherford, Edward
- Sayers, Dorothy
- Seaton, Cora
- White, Patrick
READERS’ PICKS – TITLES YOU’LL BE READING OR RECOMMENDING THIS SUMMER
Here are respondents’ recommendations of books they plan to read this summer, or have already read.
- All My Love Detrick series – Kagan, Roberta
- A Man Called Ove – Holme, Hannes
- Bauern, Bonzen und Bomben – Fallada, Hans
- Camino Island – Grisham, John
- Come Sundown – Roberts, Nora
- Days of Wine & Roquefort – Aames, Avery
- Dazzler: The Life and Times of Moss Hart – Bach, Steven
- Der Trinker- Fallada, Hans
- Fifteen Dogs – Alexis, André
- Focus: The Hidden Driver of Focus – Goleman, Daniel
- Grit: The Power of Passion and Perserverance – Duckworth, Angela
- Money Girl’s Smart Moves to Grow Rich – Adams, Laura D.
- No Is Not Enough: Resisting the New Shock Politics and Winning the World We Need – Klein, Naomi
- On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Non-Fiction – Zinsser, William
- Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy – Grant, Adam and Sandberg, Sheryl
- Raven Rock
- Speakeasy – Smith, Alisa
- Started Early, Took My Dog – Atkinson, Kate
- The Best of Ruskin Bond
- The Book Thief – Zusak, Markus
- “The Cat Who …” series – Braun, Lilian Jackson
- “The Diva (Domestic Diva) …” series – Davis, Krista
- The Enchanted April – Von Arnim, Elizabeth
- The Go-Between – Hartley, L. P.
- The Illegal – Hill, Lawrence
- The President Will See You Now: My Stories and Lessons from Ronald Reagan’s Final Years – Grande, Peggy
- The Rome Affair – Swan, Karen
- The World According to Garp – Irving, John
- The Vacationers – Strau, Emma
- Vineyard series – Craig, Philip R.
- Wer einmal aus dem Blechnapf frisst – Fallada, Hans
- When Breath Becomes Air – Kalanithi, Paul
- When the Emperor was Divine – Otsuka,Julie
- Wives of War
- Writing All Wrongs – Adams, Ellery
- Year of Yes: How to Dance it Out, Stand in the Sun, and Be Your Own Person – Rhimes, Shonda